Forum Categories
Quick to Target
Browse Categories
Community & Help

Left-Handers Day: What is crafting like as a left-hander?

23235 Posts Recent Started
Thursday, August 13, 2026 at 1:33 PM

Dear community,

Today is official Left-Handers Day. What differences / challenges are there in everyday life and when crafting for left-handers?


9 Posts Recent Started
Sunday, September 27, 2026 at 10:46 AM

Hello everyone, I’m just browsing the forum a bit and came across this post. Here’s what I can say about it. My granddaughter, who turned 11 in May, is left-handed; I’m right-handed. She wanted me to teach her how to do needlework. When it comes to knitting, I’m completely out of my depth at first. Maybe there’s something explanatory on YouTube. But we’re making progress with crochet. When I demonstrate it with my right hand, it’s difficult for her to do it with her left. So I started crocheting with my left hand.... 😵‍💫 Oh dear. But since we both started from scratch, it worked out. So far, we’ve only done chain stitches and single crochet, but at least it was enough for simple potholders. To make further progress, as with everything, practice is needed. But it was a fun experience.
Have a lovely Sunday, everyone!

Kind regards

Grandma Heidi


3 Posts Recent Started
Monday, September 28, 2026 at 7:11 AM

Hello,

when I teach someone these techniques, I sit across from them instead of next to them—so they see it “mirrored,” so to speak, which makes it suitable for left-handers.

Left-handers have often told me that they follow knitting and crochet charts in the opposite direction.

With right-handers, I sit next to them, since I’m a right-hander myself.


Write Reply

Please register or Log in!

Latest comments

21 actual comments last by Metime
2 actual comments last by a-mano
31 actual comments last by veronika-t15
24 actual comments last by hans-weber1
13 actual comments last by hans-weber1
6 actual comments last by WollwunderPetra
1 actual comment last by Moderator
5 actual comments last by rusalki01

Currently popular

24 actual comments last by hans-weber1
31 actual comments last by veronika-t15
Show all

Popular patterns

Top patterns from Natalija from the Crochet category!
Top patterns from KuemaTutorials from the Crochet category!
Top patterns from smartstitches_diy from the Crochet category!
Top patterns from Poppy-Design from the Crochet category!
Top patterns from elke-eder from the Crochet category!
Top patterns from SomethinksDesign from the Crochet category!
Top patterns from kleinesundfeinesCH from the Crochet category!
Top patterns from elke-eder from the Crochet category!
Top patterns from Melknits from the Knitting category!
Top patterns from patternsbysteph from the Crochet category!
Top patterns from _petitbonnet_ from the Crochet category!
More top patterns

Free patterns

Top patterns from MorbenDesign from the category!
Top patterns from MorbenDesign from the category!
Top patterns from jennysideenreich from the category!
Top patterns from MorbenDesign from the category!
Top patterns from MorbenDesign from the category!
Top patterns from MyCuties_Design from the category!
Top patterns from Hobbii from the category!
Top patterns from Hobbii from the category!
Top patterns from Miralay from the category!
Top patterns from MorbenDesign from the category!
Top patterns from Hobbii from the category!
Top patterns from MorbenDesign from the category!
Top patterns from KleinesFeines from the category!
Top patterns from Dianas-kleiner-Haekelshop from the category!
Top patterns from Hobbii from the category!
Top patterns from MorbenDesign from the category!
Top patterns from DIY-4U from the category!
Top patterns from moonlighthook from the category!
Top patterns from ternuraamigurumi from the category!
Top patterns from KuemaTutorials from the category!
Top patterns from Hobbii from the category!
Top patterns from christina-lemberger from the category!
Top patterns from ternuraamigurumi from the category!
Top patterns from PeterSlivkasWorld from the category!
More free patterns

Win shopping credit every month!

42 prizes / total value €300: 30×€5, 10×€10, 2×€25 – simply activate the newsletter. No purchase necessary. Unsubscribe at any time. Prizes are awarded as Crazypatterns shopping credit. Learn more