English | US $ (USD) Log in
Create new post
Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 3:57 AM
Hi, I am pretty new at crocheting. I actually learned via YouTube and have made a blanket and some baby hats. Turns out i have a knack in this craft. I love crazy patterns and just purchased a pattern. It recommends for pattern “Cocon Soft Yarn 95m/50g”. I did a search on internet and this name doesn’t pop up. Where can I find this? Is It expensive? If so is there a economical version in USA.  I can’t figure out what 95m means in regards to yarn. The pic of craft looks like a thicker yarn, but not sure. Can someone help educate me?
I like

Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 4:10 PM
Hi there. 

I recommend to get in touch with the author of the pattern and ask her if she is able to help you. 
To convert metres to yards you can use Google. 
Just enter "convert metres to yard" and you will find several sites where you can enter the values. 
But to find an alternative yarn I really recommend to talk to the author. 

Best regards and stay safe at home 
Michaela 
I like 1

Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 10:53 PM
Hi there,

I think part of the problem might be the different standards used in different countries.

Here, in Germany, our yarn usually comes in balls of 50g each and we then measure how many meters of yarn you have in that 50g ball to indicate yarn weight.
That means, the more meters you have, the thinner and lighter your yarn is. And the fewer meters, the thicker the yarn.
To make it even more precise, every ball of yarn also has recommended hook size, which we indicate in mm so that you usually have a pretty good idea about what you're working with.

Now, in the UK, they usually use something called "ply" which refers to the small individual threads that are twirled together to make up your yarn - so 1-2 ply is a really thin, lacy yarn while 8 or 10 ply will be quite bulky.

Now, to make matters even more complicated, the US uses completely different terms such as "fingering", "sport", "DK" or "worsted".

If I had to guess, I'd say that your "95m/50g" yarn would be somewhere along the lines of "sport" or "DK", which would require a 4.0-4.5 mm hook (i think that would be G hook in US terms) - but I'm really not sure.

You could try and search for conversion charts for yarn weights and hook sizes online - but like Michaela said, it's always a good idea to ask the author directly. They know their pattern best and should be able to recommend a good substitute.

I hope that helped.

Stay safe and happy Easter!
Stefanie
I like 2

Mehr Anleitungen für niedliche Amigurumis und kleine Geschenke findet ihr in meinem Shop:
Schaut doch gleich mal vorbei. Ich freue mich auf euren Besuch!
---------
For more cute amigurumis and useful little gifts visit my shop:
Come on in. I'm looking forward to meeting you there!

Friday, May 8, 2020 at 7:17 PM
Thanks, your information was very helpful!
I like

Saturday, July 3, 2021 at 1:58 AM

Auf diesen Beitrag kann nicht geantwortet werden.

Search in forum

Active threads

Approval
1 reply last by jules-crafts
Nov 12, 2021, 1:58 PM
New in September 2021: download now
5 replies last by mmns
Sep 25, 2021, 9:21 AM
Bought twice same pattern
1 reply last by Krea_Tina
Jul 28, 2021, 9:58 AM
Pattern language